Black mold is often referred to as
toxic mold and with good reason. Black mold is toxic and exposure can
pose serious health risks. Some of these health risks include
fatigue, varying degrees of mental and neurological impairment,
respiratory and circulatory problems, visual disturbances, skin
irritation, reproductive issues, suppression of the immune system and
sometimes even death. In addition spores from black mold are
allergenic and can cause symptoms such as sneezing, runny nose, and
eye irritation. Once the mold problem is removed, or the person
affected is removed from the adverse environment, the health problems
associated with exposure are often alleviated over time.
Black mold can enter a dwelling through a variety of means. A damp basement, a leaky roof or leaking pipes, flooding or wet clothing that’s been left unattended are all ideal breeding grounds for a mold problem to develop. Poor ventilation can be a culprit, especially in bathrooms and kitchens where there is often a lot of steam produced. The common denominator in all of these scenarios is moisture. People often think that they won’t get a mold problem if they simply keep their house clean. This is not necessarily true as all it takes is a tiny unnoticeable leak to cause a very big problem.
Knowing whether or not there is a mold problem in a home can be tricky because black mold isn’t always visible. It tends to grow in hidden place like inside of walls, often overtaking the inside of an entire wall before being discovered. It can even grow on furniture and cabinets, especially underneath. Even when it is visible, it is often mistaken for something else. Often times the first sign that there is a black mold problem is the appearance of a health problem caused by exposure.
Although there are at home mold test kits available, when it comes to black mold these kits are inadvisable. It is important to have a professional perform the mold testing. Disturbing black mold can release dangerous toxic spores in to the air. A professional can do a more thorough job of testing and can pinpoint and eradicate the source of the problem. When dealing with this potentially deadly toxin it is important to keep safety at the forefront.
In regard to black mold removal, some choose to go it alone in order to save money. While this option may be suitable for dealing with non-toxic molds, toxic black mold cleanup should be left to a trained professional. Black mold cleanup is a complicated job that requires precision. A professional will come prepared with the right equipment and training to get the job done thoroughly, and will take steps to help ensure that there won’t be a recurrence of the problem.